Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I am a Jiggly Giraffe

After 28 years, 3 months and a handful of days, I have finally discovered who has the power in my family. A lot of you are probably thinking my wife, and although she has more than me, the answer would be wrong. Toddlers are the most powerful people in the world.

Here is an example. We were sitting around watching a little TV the other night and watching my son play in front of us. After a few minutes, he got up and started running in circles around the partition wall that separates the office area from the living room. After running a few warm-up laps, he wanted "Dada: to join him. I, of course, was tired, but was somehow persuaded to join him. We ran laps for about 25 minutes at which point I was tired and he was wound up. I do not believe that there is another person on the face of this planet that could convince me top run around in circles for 25 minutes. That is power.

Here is another example. I think adults lose the power to cry on demand. I know, the people in Hollywood can do it, but are they really any better or mature than a two-year old? Anyway, look at what we do to keep them from crying. We make funny faces, run to the other side of the house to find the toy they want, and the really good ones do something wrong and then get that "cute little cuddly teddy bear look" and then you end up huggin them instead of disciplining them.

The other day, Austin was supposed to eat his dinner, which he will fight us on occasionally. Instead of eating, though, he kept playing with this little giraffe toy that jiggled when you wound up the tail. When I saw that the dancing giraffe made him laugh (don't kid yourself, we all laugh at dancing giraffes), I thought what a great way to get him to eat. He takes a bite and then I make the giraffe dance. The idea being positive reinforcement. I think I was outwitted by a two-year old. After the second or third bite, the giraffe wasn't funny anymore. So "Dada" started jiggling with the giraffe. Eventually, I realized that this was his master plan all along. He would wait for me to jiggle and dance, then he would take a bite. He knew what he wanted. He didn't want us to just dine him. He wanted a dinner and a show!

Now that I have accepted the fact that my son is brighter than I ever was and that he can manipulate me at any time he chooses, life has become much easier. I have found a routine that works and show times are at 8 am, 12 noon and 5pm. I thought I was a the king of my castle, but it turns out that I am really the jester.

I better go, this Giraffe has got to Jiggle.

Dan Smith (a.k.a. Court Jester)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are all "JIggly Giraffes" Unless you are mommy, then you are the bo-bo kisser and time-out maker.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home