Saturday, July 29, 2006

His diaper made me do it!

It has been a couple of months since I last updated my blog, but I have had a lot happening. To start with, I have moved my family from Utah to Texas and started a new job. Other than the fact that it took four days to drive and for some reason, my ankles turned into cankles, everything went pretty smoothly. My cankles have now been upgraded to ankles again and I will never have to spend that much time in a Penske truck again.

The only other exciting thing that happened on the trip was the flat tire that left me stranded and waiting for a repairman and the lesson I learned about unloading a car from a car trailer. If you have ever seen a car on a trailer moving down a hill with no truck attached to it, you will know what I mean. Let me just say that it is more exciting from the inside of the car and that the breaks in a car only work when the car is actually on the street and not on the trailer.

Besides the move and new job, we have moved into a new house. We learned our lesson from the house we owned in Albuquerque. It took three full-size dump trucks to haul away all the trimmings, weeds and other stuff that I removed from that yard. This time, we decided that the "less is more" theory was a good choice. The less work we have to do on the house the ... Actually, it seems like there is always more work to do on a house. I guess the theory is really "less here is more somewhere else." We love the house and it is perfect for our family.

What does the title of this blog have to do with the body of the blog? Nothing to this point, but now for the main reason behind the blog. Logan Zachary Smith was born to Tannie and I on July 25, 2006 at 11:48 am, after 29 hours of labor. Actually, it was 2 hours and 45 minutes, but people who were in labor for a long time don't think it is fair we had a short labor. When I say we, I really mean Tannie. I really didn't do anything.

Most men would say that they were there with there wife. They supported her, soothed her, gave her massages, etc. Not me. For fathers that have been called away from home and can't get back in time, they are "there in spirit." Not me. I was there physically, but that was about all. Take a look below.

Me, Birthing Fluids, Floor. Any questions?

All I really remember of the birth is holding Tannie's hand and leg one second and telling the nurse that she had better hold the leg because I felt dizzy. The next thing I knew, there was a pillow under my head and the nurse was in my face asking if I could hear her. I guess it took about three other four minutes before I could. (For all you soon to be fathers, this is the best way to go through the birth. You get a pillow, your own nurse, and they even bring you orange juice!)

After all the excitement, this is what we got for all of Tannie's efforts.

Logan Zachary Smith, 8lbs 8oz, 19 5/8"

Having a baby is sure a lot of fun, but it takes a while to realize that it was fun. Between the lack of sleep, messy diapers, being peed on constantly, a really exhausted and sore wife and a two-and-a-half year-old Jedi named Austin (Did I mention being peed on a lot?) you tend to get a little frazzled.Austin the Jedi

Frazzled? Yes, frazzled! Between Tuesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon, when we took Logan home, I ran into the hospital doors, read a magazine twice and didn't realize it was the same one until later, and missed the turn to my own house. Now that we are home, life is back to normal. Just kidding. Austin loves his brother sooooooooooo much, we fear that poor Logan may get smothered by it. And somehow, this little guy produces more poop than Austin, Tannie and I combined. How is that possible? I can hardly think of a time in the last few days when we have been able to get the first diaper completely changed without having to get a new one because he pooped or peed again while we were changing him.

Well, that is enough about poop, pee, diapers and Jedi's. Here are a few more pictures of our happy family. The force is strong in this young Jedi. Adios!



1 Comments:

Blogger Russell and Jillian said...

I love your humor Dan! And, I think Tannie looks so good in that picture. She doesn't even look like she had a baby! No swelling, no fair. That's the rule. Hope things are going well!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home